Laurel University says
Reverend Seth Rees and Rev. Charles Weigle held an Apostolic Holiness Convention in Greensboro, NC in April and May of 1902. As a result of that revival several leaders were impressed to start a school. In the fall of 1903 the Greensboro Bible and Training School was started. In 1913 the name was changed to The Apostolic Holiness University and in 1922 it was changed again to The Greensboro Bible and Literary school. Although rebuilt after a devastating fire, the mounting pressures of the Depression, combined with other difficulties, created insurmountable financial problems for the school. At the termination of the spring semester of 1931, the Greensboro Bible and Literary School abruptly closed. While recognizing the problems surrounding its closure, some board members and supporters still believed in the need for "Bible-based" education in this area. During the summer and fall of 1931, these people met several times with a well-known Methodist evangelist, Jim Green, to pursue the viability of reopening the school. Following an all-night prayer service late that fall, the decision was made to reopen the school under the new name of the People's Bible School.
People's Bible School opened for the spring semester with four teachers and eighteen students on January 25, 1932. This "new" school opened in the same facilities with many of the same teachers and students of the previous work. So even though John Wesley College's charter reads "1932," its beginnings stretch back to the turn of the century.
From its beginning, an independent Board of Trustees was formed with no denominational affiliation, yet strongly committed to the Wesleyan-Arminian position In 1936 the college moved to the Grove Park area of Greensboro and began building a campus. Driven by the same spirit of dedication and cooperation, the school continued to evolve and grow, changing the name in 1949 to People's Bible College and then to John Wesley College in 1956. The campus moved to its present site in 1980, when High Point businessman Edwin H. Shufelt donated 25 acres of land to the college.
John Wesley received accreditation in 1982, and in 1994 received an award from Christianity Today magazine for the largest enrollment growth within the Association. In 2010 the College reached a milestone by being the first Bible College in the State of North Carolina to have some of its programs achieve state licensure.
Again in 2010 JWC faced the challenge of re-inventing itself. The College acquired the assets of Universidad FLET, adding more than 1500 students from 30 countries throughout Central and South America. Courses are taught through a Distance Education model and are taught primarily in Spanish. With the addition of FLET JWC added two additional Master's degrees and has started the process of adding other Master's and a D.Min degree to programs offered.
In January of 2011, after much planning and review, John Wesley College changed its name to Laurel University. The new name more accurately reflects the institution and its goal of providing "Relevant Education to a Changing World."
Now, over a century after its progenitor started practical Bible education in this area and more than seventy five years after the all-night prayer services that led to the new charter, Laurel University has a vibrant student body, a dedicated staff committed to practical holy living and a modern campus.