Kenrick Glennon Seminary says
Kenrick-Glennon Seminary traces its remote beginnings to the year 1818. In that year, members of the Roman Province of the Congregation of the Mission, the Vincentian Community, arrived in Perryville, Missouri.
Saint Mary's of the Barrens SeminaryIn establishing Saint Mary's of the Barrens Seminary there, they established the first seminary west of the Mississippi River. The Vincentians had come at the request of Bishop Louis William Valentine DuBourg, Bishop of the Diocese of Louisiana and the Floridas. This enormous diocese embraced all of the sparsely-settled territory of the recent Louisiana Purchase, as well as that of Florida and the eastern coast of the Gulf of Mexico.
In 1842, the diocesan Major Seminary acquired an identity of its own. Bishop Rosati's coadjutor and successor, Bishop Peter Richard Kenrick (in 1847, Archbishop Kenrick) transferred his students to St. Louis. Archbishop Peter KenrickHe entrusted them to a Vincentian house, which was opened for this purpose in a group of temporary buildings later called Bishop's Row, on Carroll Street, in the Soulard area of south St. Louis.
A year and a half later, in response to deep privations at that site, he relocated the tiny Seminary one block away, in the Vincentian-owned Soulard Mansion on Decatur Street. This building, which stood next to the new St. Vincent Church, served as the third home of the Diocesan Seminary, until 1848. In that year Archbishop Kenrick opened a seminary in Carondelet, a village south of St. Louis, later annexed to the city. The Carondelet Seminary, located approximately two blocks northwest of the Motherhouse of the Sisters of Saint Joseph, was administered by four rectors of the Archdiocesan clergy until 1857. At that time, the Vincentian Community resumed their previous role of direction, now at the new site.
In the fall of 1858, the Second Provincial Council of St. Louis made a new determination for the Seminary. By way of experiment, another Vincentian institute, St. Vincent's College, in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, was to serve as a regional seminary. The entire Archdiocesan Seminary thus transferred to Cape Girardeau, the Major Seminary moving from Carondelet, the Minor Seminary from Perryville. The dream of a regional seminary, however, was not to prosper, as the hostilities of the Civil War ensued.
Although no major battles of that war took place near Cape Girardeau, there were enough military maneuvers to cause concern. Enrollment dropped, and Archbishop Kenrick began to send students to other locations in addition to Cape Girardeau: St. Francis Seminary, in Milwaukee; St. Mary's Seminary, in Baltimore; and the North American College, in Rome.