Valley Forge Christian College says
What is now Valley Forge Christian College began in 1931 when Reverend J. Roswell Flower and his wife started a summer Bible school at the campgrounds of Maranatha Park, Green Lane, Pa.
The summer Bible school became Eastern Bible Institute on Jan. 6, 1939, when it was granted a charter to train pastors, evangelists, missionaries, Christian education workers and lay workers. A series of mergers over the years boosted the enrollment and prestige of the Institute. The mergers involved Beulah Heights Bible Institute of North Bergen, N.J.; Metropolitan Bible Institute of Suffern, N.Y.; New England Bible Institute of Framingham, Mass.; and Pine Crest Bible Institute of Salisbury Center, N.Y.
Eastern Bible Institute was led by three presidents: Rev. Allan A. Swift (1938 to 1949) Rev. Milton T. Wells (1949 to 1960) and Rev. Robert L. Moore (1960 to 1963).
In March 1967, during the administration of Rev. Paul J. Emery, Sr. (1963 to 1972), EBI was renamed Northeast Bible Institute and earned accreditation from the American Association of Bible Colleges. Emery was succeeded by Rev. Obie L. Harrup, Sr. (1972 to 1979). In May 1975, under Harrup's leadership, NBI received provisional approval from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to grant bachelor's degrees in Bible and the school's name was changed to Northeast Bible College.
In 1976, Northeast moved to the site of the former Valley Forge General Hospital in Phoenixville, Pa., and the name of the college was officially changed to Valley Forge Christian College on Jan. 1, 1977. In May 1978, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania approved VFCC's request to grant a bachelor's degree in religious education.
The dramatic progress of the college has continued under the presidents who followed Harrup: Rev. Owen C. Carr (1979 to 1982) Dr. J. Robert Ashcroft (1982 to 1985) and Rev. Wesley W. Smith (1985 to 1996). In December 1996, Dr. Donald G. Meyer was appointed president and continues in that role today.