Mid-Continent University says
Mid-Continent University is a Great Commission, Baptist, undergraduate and graduate, teaching institution whose primary purpose is to provide Christ-centered quality higher education. Instruction in the Bible and liberal arts is provided to traditional and non-traditional students through on-campus and off-campus programs that equip them for Christian Ministry and service in a diverse society. Mid-Continent University is a four-year, co-educational institution of higher education.
Mid-Continent University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS), Bachelor of Science (BS), Bachelor of Arts (BA), and Master of Science (MS) degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, or call 404-679-4501 for questions about the accreditation of Mid-Continent University.
(Note: The three-fold purpose for publishing the Commission's address and contact numbers is to enable interested constituents (1) to learn about the accreditation status of the institution, (2) to file a third-party comment at the time of the institution's decennial review, or (3) to file a complaint against the institution for alleged non-compliance with a standard or requirement. Normal inquiries about Mid-Continent University, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to the university and not to the Commission's office.)
At Mid-Continent, students pursue majors such as Behavioral Studies, Biblical Studies, Business Administration, Christian Education and Leadership, Elementary Teacher Education, English, General Studies, History, Mathematics, Missions and Evangelism, Psychology and Counseling, and Social Studies. Teaching from a Christian worldview, the university today continues in its long tradition of educating students for Christian leadership and service in a diverse world.
The Baptist heritage at Mid-Continent is steeped in a rich history dating back to 1947, when a group of pastors led a movement endorsed by the West Kentucky Baptist Association, to organize a Baptist institution in Clinton, Kentucky. The initial session, beginning January 1949, was held at First Baptist Church of Clinton, and continued there for two years. In 1951 the school moved to a campus on the northern outskirts of Clinton where it remained in full-time operation until August 10, 1957. At that time, the college was known as the West Kentucky Baptist Bible Institute. In 1957, the campus moved from Clinton to North 15th Street in Mayfield, and the name was changed to the Baptist Bible Institute. In June 1965, the Board of Trustees changed the name of the school to Mid-Continent Baptist Bible College. In 1972, the Harris family of Graves County donated approximately 100 acres to the college and construction began on this campus. Some of the original tract of land was sold and today there are approximately 20 acres on the east side of Highway 45 occupied by the campus and approximately 65 acres on the west side of Highway 45 most of which is rented out for farming. Effective May 20, 1993, the Board of Trustees changed the name to Mid-Continent College. In 1998 the Board of Trustees voted to organize Mid-Continent College into two divisions; the Baptist College of the Bible, and the Baptist College of Applied Arts and Sciences. In January 2004 the name was again changed to Mid-Continent University, as it is known today.