Main Profile

At A Glance

Fermi Observations of Dwarf Galaxies Provide New Insights on Dark Matter

Date- 20th Mar 12 Source- 'There's more to the cosmos than meets the eye. About 80 percent* [sic] of the matter in the universe is invisible to telescopes, yet its gravitational influence is manifest in the orbital speeds of stars around galaxies and in the motions of clusters of galaxies. Yet, despite decades of effort, no one knows what this "dark matter" really is. Many scientists think it's likely that the mystery will be solved with the discovery of new kinds of subatomic particles, types necessarily different from those composing atoms of the ordinary matter all around us. The search to detect and identify these particles is underway in experiments both around the globe and above it. Scientists working with data from NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope have looked for signals from some of these hypothetical particles by zeroing in on 10 small, faint galaxies that orbit our own. Although no signals have been detected, a novel analysis technique applied to two years of data from the observatory's Large Area Telescope (LAT) has essentially eliminated these particle candidates for the first time. WIMPs, or Weakly Interacting Massive Particles, represent a favored class of dark matter candidates. Some WIMPs may mutually annihilate when pairs of them interact, a process expected to produce gamma rays -- the most energetic form of light -- that the LAT is designed to detect. The team examined two years of LAT-detected gamma rays with energies in the range from 200 million to 100 billion electron volts (GeV) from 10 of the roughly two dozen dwarf galaxies known to orbit the Milky Way. Instead of analyzing the results for each galaxy separately, the scientists developed a statistical technique -- they call it a "joint likelihood analysis" -- that evaluates all of the galaxies at once without merging the data together. No gamma-ray signal consistent with the annihilations expected from four different types of commonly considered WIMP particles was found. For the first time, the results show that WIMP candidates within a specific range of masses and interaction rates cannot be dark matter. A paper detailing these results appeared in the Dec. 9, 2011, issue of Physical Review Letters.' *This quote seems to be wrong, about 96% of the universe is invisible, about 73% is dark energy and 23% is dark matter, the remaining 4% is regular matter (i.e. matter that interacts with the EM spectrum). Dark matter interacts positively with gravity while dark energy interacts negatively. The 80% figure may relate to the approx. amount of dark matter in an individual galaxy, the remaining 20% being regular matter.
Length: 03:12


Questions about Fermi Observations of Dwarf Galaxies Provide New Insights on Dark Matter

Want more info about Fermi Observations of Dwarf Galaxies Provide New Insights on Dark Matter? Get free advice from education experts and Noodle community members.

  • Answer

Ask a New Question