Main Profile

At A Glance

How to File for Rent Assistance

Watch more All about Apartment Rentals videos: Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - Learn how to file for rent assistance using the information in this guide. Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels: Howcast Health Channel - Howcast Video Games Channel - Howcast Tech Channel - Howcast Food Channel - Howcast Arts & Recreation Channel - Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more. Step 1: Search for privately owned housing Search for privately owned apartments that offer lower rent for low-income tenants. Visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's website at to search for apartments in your area. Step 2: Apply for public housing Contact your local city or county housing authority about public housing if you are disabled, elderly, a low-income family, or have been displaced by government action or a disaster. Public houses are publicly owned and typically feature affordable rent. Step 3: File for Section 8 File for a Section 8 housing voucher with the Public Housing Administration, or PHA. With a housing voucher, your rent is set at 30 percent of your income, and the voucher covers the rest. You sign a lease with the landlord, and the landlord signs a housing assistance payments contract with the PHA. Tip Be prepared to pay a security deposit if the landlord requires it. Step 4: Check with the state Check with your state government for rental assistance in your area. Step 5: Ask for help Contact a HUD-approved housing counseling agency, or call HUD at 800-569-4287 if you need advice about getting rental assistance. Did You Know? President Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1968, which included the Fair Housing Act that prohibited discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of housing.
Length: 01:49


Questions about How to File for Rent Assistance

Want more info about How to File for Rent Assistance? Get free advice from education experts and Noodle community members.

  • Answer