Asked about: Pardee School

My son was born outside the USA, and he just got to America. He is 5 years and half – what can he do for his education?


Will Carington, works for Noodle

User avatar for Will Carington

Depending on your son's birthday, he is eligible to enroll in either kindergarten or first grade. You can enroll him at your local public elementary school by calling the Dearborn Heights School District No. 7 Enrollment Office at 313-278-1901 ext. 200. An administrator will be able to help you determine your school assignment based on your address and can guide you through the rest of the enrollment process. Your son's immigration status will not prevent him from enrolling, however you will need to provide the following documentation in order to establish age, identity, and residency within the school district:

  • Child's original birth certificate.
  • Complete immunization records.
  • Name and address of last school attended (if applicable).
  • Proof of address in the form of a lease agreement, utility bill, mortgage statement, etc.
  • Proof of custody (if necessary).
  • IEP Paperwork if your child receives special education services.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to the school district at 313-278-1901 ext. 200 or to the Pardee School at (313) 292-7300.

Private school is also an option, but requirements for admission vary from school to school. Use Noodle's school search to find and compare schools, both public and private, near where you live. You might also find it helpful to browse Noodle's resources for international students or our articles and advice on finding a school. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Your Answer