MOUNT ALVERNIA ACADEMY is a private, coeducational Catholic School for students in nursery through grade six. Established in 1927 and located in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, the school is situated on a beautiful campus comprised of three buildings, two playground areas, and two playing fields. Mount Alvernia is a sponsored Ministry of the Missionary Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception. The school community is composed of Franciscan Sisters, lay teachers, and families from varying parishes and ethnic backgrounds. Mount Alvernia Academy is fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Board of Education of the Archdiocese of Boston. This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students. Mount Alvernia Academy is a private Catholic elementary school for boys and girls from nursery through grade six, under the auspices of the Missionary Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception and their Provincial, Sister Suzanne Fondini and the members of the Provincial Council. The school community is composed of Franciscan Sisters, lay teachers, and families from varying parishes and ethnic backgrounds. The name Alvernia is derived from Mount Alverno in Italy, where St. Francis received the Stigmata (imprint of the five wounds of Christ). Following the example of St. Francis, the faculty encourages the students to follow Christ in simplicity as St. Francis did and to combine their spiritual growth with their academic achievements. The present school began in 1927 with a boarding school for girls and a day school for boys and girls. Thirteen students were enrolled the first year, and in a short time the enrollment increased to seventy-three. The first graduation was held in 1933. In 1938, a new school was built because of the increase in the number of students. Hayes Auditorium, dedicated to Mother Mary Ignatius Hayes, the foundress of the Missionary Franciscan Sisters, was added to the complex in 1948. Since its founding, the school has progressed steadily under the unswerving loyalty of a dedicated faculty, staff, Home and School Association and Board of Directors . True to the tradition of the first graduating class, the students of today are still winning scholarships to schools in competitive examinations, athletics, and art and science fairs.