Edison Bethune Charter Academy’s mission is to provide all students with a rigorous standards-based curriculum to achieve success. Every child is provided with resources and opportunities to reach his/her individual potential through academic preparation and personal responsibility. Working as a team of parents, staff, and students, Edison Bethune Charter Academy is dedicated to providing a world class education to ensure the academic advancement of every child.
The details of the plan that will ensure positive results for Edison Bethune Charter Academy students are set forth below. Among other things, we intend to reach our ambitious standards in the following ways:
• World class standards aligned with common core state standards, clearly tied to assessment, and supporting school wide accountability;
• Individualized and varied instructional methods that address the important differences in the ways children learn.
• Long term relationships among teachers, students and families. Because of the School's design elementary students will work with teachers and specialist teachers in a caring environment over their educational career in partnership with families
• Extensive training and support for staff. Teachers will receive extensive pre-service and in-service training and will have significant time built into the schedule for planning and professional development every day
• More time for learning. Our school will normally serve students for 7.5 hours a day for all grades currently K-6. School day starts at 7:55 and ends at 3:15. Fridays are early release at 2:10
• Intensive use of technology. Edison Bethune Charter Academy will make extensive use of computer, Smart Boards, and telecommunications technology.
• A Partnership with Families. Edison Bethune Charter Academy is committed to being partners with parents in ensuring a world class education by providing ongoing and easy access to information about their child's progress, working with parents and students to define goals and working with local community organizations to serve the needs of all families.
• Cultivation of Customized Learning. In keeping with California Education Code §47605(b)(5)(A)(i), the Charter School will foster customized learning through carefully designed and supervised independent learning models, thereby more fully meeting the Charter School Law's requirement that schools enable students to become self-motivated, competent, and independent learners.
• Serving the need of special education students. As part of the charter school's commitment to a philosophy of inclusion and individualized attention for all children, the Charter School, operating as its own local educational agency (“LEA”) for the purposes of special education, pursuant to Education Code 47641, subdivision (a), shall work with the Fresno Unified SELPA to meet all students' needs. The Charter School retains the right to change SELPAs.