Valley New School:
• is a project-based school for 68 students in grades 7-12.
• is a charter school—a tuition-free public school of the Appleton Area School District that is allowed to be more innovative, yet provide a structured learning environment for students. Charter schools, like traditional schools, are held accountable for improved student achievement.
• is a learning community—a positive, safe, collaborative culture where students grow academically, socially, and emotionally.
• celebrated its 10th year of innovative education in 2012-2013.
VNS is based on the philosophy that:
• Learning how to learn is more important that memorizing a particular set of facts.
• Belongingness and empowerment lead to engagement in school and, in turn, achievement.
• Each individual is unique and, therefore, warrants an individualized education.
A VNS education prepares students for college and career. College-bound graduates consistently attend their first choice school. Students who choose to enter the workforce upon graduation consistently garner stable positions in their chosen fields.