East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania Graduate School
East Stroudsburg University, a comprehensive university in northeastern Pennsylvania offering 58 undergraduate and 22 graduate degrees, is one of the 14 institutions in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. East Stroudsburg Normal School opened it doors on September 4, 1893. A faculty of 15 greeted a group of 320 students who had entered the two-year programs in elementary and science education. Although the Normal School was originally privately owned, ownership was transferred to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1920, and the name was changed to East Stroudsburg State Normal School. In 1927, the right to confer the degrees of bachelor of science in education and bachelor of science in health education was granted, and the school's name then became the State Teachers College at East Stroudsburg. In 1960, the college's name was changed to East Stroudsburg State College, reflecting the addition of liberal arts and science curricula. In November 1982, the State System of Higher Education was authorized by Senate Bill 506. The college officially became East Stroudsburg University on July 1, 1983.