Carson-Newman University says
Carson-Newman College, a Christian, private, liberal arts institution, is located in Jefferson City, some 25 miles east of Knoxville. Established as Mossy Creek Missionary Baptist Seminary in 1851, the school began by holding classes in a local Baptist church.
In 1880, the college was named Carson College and for several years existed alongside Newman College, a separate facility for the education of women. In 1889, the two colleges united as one of the first coeducational institutions in Baptist circles. In 1919, Carson-Newman became officially affiliated with the Tennessee Baptist Convention. The College was admitted to membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1927 and the Association of American Colleges in 1928.
During most of its vibrant life, C-N has served as a residential four-year, liberal arts college with courses of study leading to the baccalaureate degree. In response to the changing needs of its students, the college in recent years has expanded its offerings to include master's degrees.
The community of Jefferson City and the surrounding county offer an excellent environment for a college education. Carson?Newman offers a campus of stately white-columned buildings on rolling, grassy hills surrounded by lakes, mountains, and the tourist attractions of both Knoxville and Sevierville-Gatlinburg corridor.
On campus, art galleries, theaters, a television studio and a state?of?the?art recital hall offer opportunities for students to exhibit their talents and to participate in a variety of visual and performing arts and productions. Various and diverse cultural events are presented each year for enrichment and entertainment of students and the community.
Carson-Newman College has maintained its commitment to training ministers and Christian professionals while expanding its liberal arts program to include 55 majors in nine Schools. In 1988, Carson-Newman College introduced its Steeples of Excellence -- areas of traditional strength in which the college seeks to establish a national reputation for excellence. They are: the Center for Wellness, the Center for Educational Service to Appalachia, the Center for Baptist Studies, and the Louis and Mary Charlotte Ball Institute for Church Music and the Center for Global Education.
The college has continued to build upon its Christian heritage and has improved services offered to the Baptists of East Tennessee. Through Appalachian Outreach, an auxiliary ministry of the College, many churches send volunteers to spend their summers working with Carson-Newman College in poverty relief efforts, and many Carson-Newman College students have been among the volunteers to respond to national disasters. The first ministry team permitted to work with China's leprosy patients consisted of Carson-Newman College faculty, students, and staff.
With 150 years of Christian outreach, an excellent academic reputation coupled with an outstanding faculty of scholar-teachers, an alumni body of some 19,000 and the leadership of Dr. Randall O'Brien, the school's 22nd president, Carson-Newman stands on the precipice of a new era secure in its heritage and ready for the future.