Can FASFA be used to pay for study abroad?


Will Carington, works for Noodle

User avatar for Will Carington

As long as the program you've selected has been approved for credit by your home school in the United States, you can generally apply the federal aid you receive to help cover the cost of studying abroad.

A good first step is to contact your school's financial aid office and speak to a counselor about any regulations or restrictions that might pertain to studying abroad. If your school has a study abroad office, a counselor there will also be able to help you learn more about what your financial aid options are.

For more information about planning your study abroad experience, take a look at the following articles:

Your Answer