How do I find the right accommodations if my state does not not offer facilities dedicated to blind / deaf students?

I live in a state that does not have facilities for blind or deaf students. The public rural school cannot provide adequate education to blind students. Does this Idaho school accept or enroll students from other states?


Michael Schoch, Answers questions on Noodle

User avatar for Michael Schoch

According to the Idaho School for the Deaf and Blind's admissions requirements, students must be residents of Idaho to attend.

Since I don't know what state you live in, I can't offer you specific suggestions about where and what to look for. I can tell you that one option is to search for deaf and blind schools on the Noodle Search Engine. Another option is to contact public schools in other school districts. All public institutions must provide for deaf and blind children, even though the level of resources may vary.

You might also consider trying a private school.

If these resources don't work, try visiting the National Center on Deaf-Blindness. The center offers a state-by-state list of resources for deaf-blind individuals. In addition, this site contains links to a number of excellent resources, sites, and forums regarding deaf-blindness.

Try out some of these options and see if they help you find a school closer to your home. If not, feel free to write back and let me know what state you live in and I can try doing some more research as well! It sounds like you're already doing an excellent job of being proactive and learning all that you can. Best of luck!

Your Answer