How long do you have to live in the state to get the in state tuition fees?


Will Carington, works for Noodle

User avatar for Will Carington

The answer is actually a little complicated. In general, the rule is that you must have lived in Utah continuously for one year prior to the term for which you'd like to receive in-state tuition. However, there are a number of exceptions. For example, if you are married to a Utah resident or if your parents recently moved to Utah for full-time employment (and the move was not educationally motivated), you may qualify for in-state tuition. Southern Utah University provides this residency questionnaire which can help you determine whether you're eligible for in-state tuition.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact the university's admissions office at 435-586-7700 or via email.

Hope this helps!

Your Answer