I'm an international student who did five years of high school. It is possible for me to take my degree in three years, like in Europe, instead of four?


Michael Schoch, Answers questions on Noodle

User avatar for Michael Schoch

I think this will greatly depend on what classes you took and to what college you apply. Each college has different criteria for the credits they will and will not accept. To get a more detailed answer, I recommend calling the admissions department or registrar of the colleges in which you're interested.

It may be possible for you to transfer enough credits to finish your degree in three years, or you may be able to skip certain required classes. If you've taken IB courses, your test scores will affect your eligibility for college credit.

The best thing you can do is to speak with your high school's administration and then with each college to which you apply. Many colleges have a transfer equivalency guide available either on their website or via phone call that will tell you how many of your current credits can be transferred.

Best of luck and check out this page of advice for international students hoping to study in the U.S.

Your Answer