Can an international student receive a financial aid for pursuing an undergraduate degree from the Georgia Institute of Technology?


Anonymous, Noodle Intern

If you’re interested in studying in the USA from abroad, then Dr. Katherine Cohen’s article with tips for applying to American universities is an essential read. She gives an overview of how American financial aid offices manage non-citizen applications.

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) ensures that public schools are responsible for meeting any students’ IEP (Individualized Education Plan), for all students, regardless of age or disability. However, the school may or may not have adequate resources already in place. If not, how quickly schools are able to provide support services can vary, so depending on your situation, you may need to discuss options in other district schools with your local school administrators. This chart by National Center for Learning Disabilities breaks down your options in a clear way.

The IDEA data center has liaisons in each state whom you can contact for help — you can find your state here. You can also see where complaints have been filed on this advocacy website.

Altogether, this should give you a sense of what to expect from your school. However, what will be most helpful is to speak with the disabilities officer for specific information — here’s the phone number for the administrator’s office: (404) 894-2000

Finally, check out our Noodle’s resources about learning disabilities, where you can read articles written by experts and questions from other people who are in a similar position to your own.

Your Answer