How do I enroll my child in school?


Dr. Aaron Smith, Ph.D. in Educational Leadership, Currently Program Director at Aviation Academy, Co-Author of Awakening Your STEM School

User avatar for Dr. Aaron Smith

In addition to what Will stated before, I would also include taking the following: an IEP or 504 plan if the child has one already, a copy of the most recent report card and their social security card.

I highly recommend that you print off a copy or get a copy from the office and return back to the office upon completion at home. This will help expedite the process not to mention will ensure that you have all of the necessary documentation needed for registration. Otherwise the child will not be registered until it all has been received.

Will Carington, works for Noodle

User avatar for Will Carington

To enroll your child in a public school, the first step is to contact your local school district. If you're not sure which school district you live in, contact your local city or county government. A school district representative will be able to assist you with the registration process and can explain how to determine which school your child will attend. In most places, your child's school assignment is based on where you live. Some school districts also have school choice programs which allow you to apply to multiple public schools.

Once you know which school your child will attend, you will need to submit certain documentation. In most cases, this will include the following:

  • Your child's original birth certificate, passport, or other government-issued ID.
  • Proof of address in the form of a lease agreement, mortgage statement, utility bill, etc.
  • Your child's immunization records.

Some school districts will allow you to complete at least part of the enrollment process online, but in general, you will need to make an appointment at the school or school district office in order to submit paperwork, etc.

Depending on where you live, there might also be the option to attend charter schools (independently operated, publicly funded schools) or private schools (tuition-based independent schools). To find out more about what school options exist in your area, try using Noodle's school search tool. You might also find it helpful to browse Noodle's articles and advice about finding a school and starting a new school.

Your Answer