How can I find a school for a sixth grader that is emotionally impaired and needs to be in the crossroads program?


Tracy Jennings, Works at Noodle and here to help!

User avatar for Tracy Jennings

Your next step should be to talk to the administration of M.G. Millet about whether or not they have the resources to meet your child's needs.

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) ensures that public schools are responsible for meeting any students’ IEP (Individualized Education Plan), for all students, regardless of age or disability. However, the school may or may not have adequate resources already in place. If not, how quickly schools are able to provide support services can vary, so depending on your situation, you may need to discuss options in other district schools with your local school administrators. This chart by National Center for Learning Disabilities breaks down your options in a clear way.

The IDEA data center has liaisons in each state whom you can contact for help — you can find your state here. You can also see where complaints have been filed on this advocacy website.

Altogether, this should give you a sense of what to expect from your school. However, what will be most helpful is to speak with the disabilities officer for specific information — here’s the phone number for the Millet main office: (989) 777-2520.

Finally, check out Noodle’s resources about learning differences, where you can read articles written by experts and questions from other people who are in a similar position to your own.

Your Answer