Does your school offer classes for a special needs student in 9th Grade? He has an IEP in the state of New York and is classified as Autistic/PDD-NOS. We are looking to relocate to the Wilmington area over this summer and are looking for a school to fulfill his academic needs.


Anonymous, Noodle Intern

Your next step should be to talk to the school administration about whether or not they have the resources to meet your needs.

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) ensures that public schools are responsible for meeting any students’ IEP (Individualized Education Plan), for all students, regardless of age or disability. However, the school may or may not have adequate resources already in place. If not, how quickly schools are able to provide support services can vary, so depending on your situation, you may need to discuss options in other district schools with your local school administrators. This chart by National Center for Learning Disabilities breaks down your options in a clear way.

The IDEA data center has liaisons in each state whom you can contact for help — you can find your state here. You can also see where complaints have been filed on this advocacy website.

Altogether, this should give you a sense of what to expect from your school. However, what will be most helpful is to speak with the disabilities officer for specific information — here’s the phone number for the administrator’s office: (910) 962-4246

Finally, check out our Noodle’s resources about learning disabilities, where you can read articles written by experts and questions from other people who are in a similar position to your own.

Your Answer